How to download and install Kodi 18 or Kodi 17.6
Are you looking for the newest version of Kodi? This article will explain how to download and install Kodi 18 or Kodi 17.6, the two newest versions available.
The Kodi Foundation has been working on a new version of Kodi that is codenamed “Kodi 18 Leia.” Unfortunately, what they have so far is not yet stable enough for them to recommend it as the “official” version. However, many users have reported that the current version works just fine. So you can always try it out if you want to.
Meanwhile, Kodi users can also utilize the current official release of the software, called “Kodi 17.6 Krypton”. Version 17.6 fixed several bugs and security issues that existed with earlier Kodi versions. Kodi 17.6 Krypton should be stable for most systems.
Read on to find out how to download and install either of these Kodi versions.
What is Kodi?
Kodi is media player software that allows you to stream movies, TV shows, music, and other content from the Internet. It also lets you play videos stored on your device. It can be installed on Nvidia Shield, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, or any device that runs Android, Windows, Mac OS X, iOS, or Linux.
Because it bypasses the usual browser plugins that play commercials, Kodi can be used to stream uninterrupted videos from free sites like Crackle, Tubi TV, and Popcornflix. This has made it popular with “cord-cutters” who seek to escape the high costs of cable and satellite TV.
Warning: Kodi should only be used for content to which you have the legal right to access. Neither the Kodi Foundation nor vpnforkodi advocates the use of Kodi for piracy.
Whenever you stream video using Kodi or a web browser, you should always use a VPN to protect your privacy. If your location is broadcasted, many streaming video sites will try to block you from viewing content based on your location. A VPN will allow you to choose an IP address from practically anywhere, preventing these sites from knowing where you are.
VPNs can also help to protect you against man-in-the-middle attacks and ISP speed throttling.
Not all VPNs are good for Kodi users. Most lack native apps for popular devices that run Kodi, such as the Amazon Fire Stick or Nvidia Shield. While all VPNs will slow your speed somewhat, many are so slow that they cannot stream HD video without buffering. Some VPNs keep logs of users’ activity, creating a new risk to privacy.
Because of these problems, we at VPNFORKODI.COM recommend IPVanish to Kodi users. It has a strict policy against logs, streamed 1080p with no buffering in our tests, and has a native app for both Amazon Fire Stick and Nvidia Shield. It’s a great way for Kodi users to protect their privacy.
How to download and install Kodi 18 Leia Alpha 2
The final and fully stable version of Kodi 18 is expected to be released sometime this year. Still, there are so many useful new features in it that you may want to use it now even before the final version is released. If you want to try out Kodi 18 Leia, here is how to install the current Alpha test version.
Note: If you already have a previous version of Kodi installed, the settings from your old version should transfer to the new version during installation. However, you should always backup your settings just in case something goes wrong.
For Nvidia Shield, Android phone or tablet, Windows or Mac PC
- Navigate to the official download page for Kodi
- Select the icon for your operating system if your Nvidia then select Android
- Click the Pre release tab
- Click the installer button for Alpha 2
- On Android or Nvidia Shield, enable unknown sources. You can do this is on most Android devices by tapping settings → security → unknown sources → OK, and on Nvidia Shield by clicking settings → security and restrictions → unknown sources.
- On a PC, right-click the file and select open. On Nvidia Shield or Android phone/tablet, download a file manager program such as ES File Explorer or ZenUI’s File Manager to find the file and open it.
- A dialogue box will appear asking if you want to install Kodi. Click next to continue
When Kodi finishes installing, you will see another dialogue box that says “Kodi has been installed on your computer. Click finish to close setup.” Click the box that says run kodi, then click finish
- Wait a few seconds for Kodi 18 Leia to load
For Amazon Fire Stick:
- From your Fire Stick main menu, go to settings → system → developer options
- Turn on apps from unknown sources
- Go back to the main menu and search for the ES File Explorer app
- Install the ES File Explorer app and open it
- When the ES File Explorer app opens, select favorites
- Choose add
- In the field that says “path source,” type this url: https://kodi.tv/download
- In the space that says “name”, type Kodi
- Scroll down the list on the left side and select Kodi. The Kodi download page will now appear
- The Amazon Fire Stick is an android device, so scroll down the page and select Android
- From the tabs along the top of the page, select Pre release
- Click the ARMV7A (32 bit) button
- When the download finishes, select open file. Kodi 18 Leia will begin installing
For iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV:
- On a Mac or Windows PC, open a browser and navigate to the official Kodi download page
- Choose iOS as your operating system
- Click the Pre release tab at the top of the window
- Select the IDEVICE button
- When the file finishes downloading, that is it all done.
New features in Kodi 18
Here are some of the new features only available in Kodi 18 Leia.
- Music library now reads metadata. This makes it easier to organize music
- Improved support for remote controls and game controllers
- A set of features that allows for retro games (Nintendo, SEGA, Atari, etc.) to be played through Kodi
- A set of features that makes it easier to record live television using a TV tuner and over-the-air antenna
- A “skinning engine” that makes it easier for users to create unique Kodi skins
- Speech-to-text for Android devices that lets you search for movies and shows by talking
- Digital Rights Management (DRM) will make more websites compatible with Kodi
- New version for Xbox One
How to download and install Kodi 17.6 Krypton
While some users will want to download the current, experimental version of Kodi 18 Leia, others may want to hold off until a more stable version is developed. If so, you can still download the newest stable version of Kodi, which is called Kodi Krypton 17.6.
Kodi Krypton 17.6 is the final version of Kodi Krypton. The next update to Kodi will be the move to Kodi 18. Here is how to install Kodi 17.6
For Windows or Mac PC:
- Open a browser and navigate to https://kodi.tv/download
- Scroll down the page and select the icon for your operating system
- Click the installer button
- Run the file when it finishes downloading
- Follow the prompts to install Kodi 17.6
For Nvidia Shield or Android phone or tablet:
- Open the Google Play Store
- Search for Kodi
- Click Kodi
- Click install
- Open a browser on your PC (not your iOS device) and navigate to the official Kodi download page
- Select iOS as your operating system
- Depending on whether your system is 32 or 64 bit, select DEB FILE (ARM) or DEB FILE (ARM64)
New features in Kodi 17.6
Kodi 17.6 contains no new features. However, it does contain a few fixes that make it more stable than previous versions, including:
- Previous versions often crashed when the controller dialogue box opened. This has been fixed
- Problems with internal web server connections have been fixed
- Peripheral joystick addons should no longer cause crashes
- Standard scrapers are now automatically updated
We hope you’ve enjoyed this guide to Kodi 18 Leia and Kodi 17.6 Krypton. If you’d like more info about how to get the most entertainment from Kodi, you may want to think about Android Apps and maybe check out our guide How To Add Asks To Amazon Fire TV